Thursday, February 19, 2009

Post 7 - BSGI.

I arrived @ 9:30 a.m. to have the BSGI test. When I arrived, women were lined out the door waiting to sign in for their appointments. Goodness!

They called me back, I went & changed into my ever-so-glamorous shawl & waited. Quickly I was called & taken into a room I hadn't previously been in. Inside was lots of different medical equipment. Three nurses were ready & waiting for me. How nice of them. :) Two nurses worked regularly at the clinic - the other lady had come over from a clinic in Plano & was there to train the other 2 nurses. She told me she had only performed about 40 BSGI tests - that's how new this testing is. She also explained this type of testing was an "accidental find" (or coincidental find) - typically, this type of testing is used on/for heart patients. But drs. to notice defined "hot spots" (black spots) were showing up in certain scans on the breast(s) of women. Voila! They discovered the hot spots were actually breast cancer, & at that time they knew that this particular test was successful in finding breast cancer. Very interesting!

When I first sat down, I explained to them that I was a little irritated that this new testing wasn't explained to me in more detail. Basically, the only things I was told was that the test would take about an hour & there is no discomfort. They were patient, & asked what questions I had. The most serious question I had is the fact that I take two medications daily, & no one had asked me prior about any medications I was taking. Some medications counteract with my daily medications, so I was concerned if this substance they would enter thru my veins would have any effect on my current medications. They assured me that no, the medication leaves my body quickly & interferes with absolutely nothing. That was a relief. They did inform me that the substance was not a 'dye', like a procedure I had had done years ago.

Once we completed our discussion, they administered the iv into my arm. Which I hate! They let it drip for a while & then the dr. himself came in. He looks so much like Joel Osteen! He chatted briefly, I think he adjusted something with the substance (radioactive tracing agent) or checked the level (I can't remember) & then he was gone again. (Maybe he did the actual administering of the substance itself. Anyway, I didn't see him again after that.)

I believe the iv ran for about 5 minutes or so, & then they removed the line. Over to begin testing I went. Basically, the machine itself was a miniature MRI machine with a small computer screen attached. I sat in a chair & they would position the machine around as necessary. They would run one test, & the test had to reach a certain number before they could switch to another position. We all watched the screen waiting for the 'number', so they could reposition me & begin another scan. After each scan was completed, I/we could actually see the results & I never had any hot spots that I could see. I did question one, & the nurse replied with "oh no, it will be very prominent" so that was good. Anyway, each scan took about 5-8 minutes. I sat completely still, & we all chatted about this & that while the tests were being performed. All of the nurses were very friendly. We talked about my children being adopted, I showed them a photo, & because two of the nurses were AA, we got on a hair discussion for my girls. :) I think they took 3 or 4 different positions/scans of each. They did both which was a surprise (another thing they didn't tell me) - I thought/assumed they were only going to do my left side, since that was the one in question. In all honestly, now looking back, I'm actually glad they did both. If you're going to do it, might as well do it right & rule out cancer in both breasts, just to be on the safe side.

Testing took just about one complete hour. It was the most tedious, monotonous testing I've ever been thru. Probably because it lasted so long & virtually I was unable to move. Somewhat uncomfortable, not not at all painful. I was getting pretty cold in the room & they nicely kept me covered with a throw blanket. They said I was one of the friendliest patients they've ever had! LOL Especially considering the circumstances. Most women, I presume, ain't so nice. :)

After testing, they sent me back out to the waiting room. I phoned hubby to check in while I waited. As soon as we hung up, out came one of the nurses. I figured she was coming out to take me back to the dr., but nope. That surprised me, as I assumed I would see the dr. himself to receive my test results. Quickly, as we stood in the waiting room, she rattled out "you're all clear, come back in 6 months" & then went right into talking about Jaguar's hair issues. She told me I could call her & she would help me. LOL When she was done speaking, I kind of looked at her, stunned, & said "so, there's no cancer?" to which she replied "oh no, nothing like that". Well, ok then! I was a little frustrated that after months of wondering & waiting, a series of different tests, seeing a surgeon, & being told there was a definite possibility I did indeed have breast cancer, I thought the results would have & could have been handled a tad more professional. And, using a tad more sensitivity.

Nonetheless, I was relieved that this journey was finally over. Finally, I now had confirmation that I do not have cancer. The nurse hugged me good-bye, I went back to my dressing room, dressed & headed out. I grabbed lunch on the way home for hubby & I. After lunch he headed to work & it took me all afternoon to really 'calm' down. I guess I had been disturbed about this ordeal a little more than I actually knew.

So from here, I return for mammograms every 6 months. I go back in August. After one year of negative mammograms, I can return to having my mammograms once a year.

For now I still give praise to God & thank Him for being faithful. God is so good. ☺

(*With BSGI, the patient receives a radioactive tracing agent that is absorbed by all the cells in the body. Cancerous cells in the breast, due to their increased rate of metabolic activity, absorb a greater amount of the tracing agent than normal, healthy cells and generally appear as "hot spots" on the BSGI image.)

To all of you, I thank you. Thank you for your kind words & all your prayers during my wait time. I appreciate you following along & offering encouragement. I'm so honored to have you all as friends.

No comments: